Picking the perfect vacation rental in Baja Sur can be a challenge: There are so many beautiful choices!
By Yesica Pineda
“As the season ramps up in beautiful Baja Sur, visitors from all over the world want to come to this region of southern Baja to enjoy the warm, sapphire-blue waters, white sand beaches and to participate in any number of water sports, hiking and nightlife activities. The question becomes, “Where to stay?” For some, a boutique hotel might be the answer. For others, a full-service resort provides much-needed pampering. And for others, having a place to call home is exactly the right idea. Should we write about that?” Carla White, Editor, Baja.com
Writing beautiful things about Baja is not a very hard job, really. All beauty that inspires exists in this part of the world; we writers only have to observe it, experience it and describe what we see. As I write this now, I remind myself to see things (and write about them) as they are, and not as we want them to be. But the wonderful thing about Baja is that, here, things often are exactly what we want them to be!
Picking the perfect vacation rental starts with awareness. First, understand that Baja Sur encompasses a pretty big region — Loreto, La Paz, East Cape, San Jose del Cabo, Cabo San Lucas, Todos Santos, and realms in-between! Baja.com gives you the opportunity to explore your different options from the comfort of your computer. It is easy! You start where you are and plan your travels accordingly. Feel free to contact us for help anytime needed.
Here are five tips on how to select a vacation rental and what to look for:
1. Environmental beauty. Baja is beautiful from every angle; its beauty is right in front of you and hard to miss no matter where you stay. Nonetheless, choose to stay in a place that is in sync with your preferred lifestyle. (Am I looking for the perfect golf resort, or would I rather be fishing?) And study up at Baja.com on what each region has to offer in the sense of environment: Cabo Pulmo and its stunning coastline, Todos Santos and its verdant fields bounded by white sand beaches, La Paz on the maginificent Sea of Cortez, and so on.
2. Walking Distances. Walking is a great way to know the local energy and the native people. Plus it cleanses the mind and heals the body. Choose a place that allows you to walk to the shops or parks or beaches that you are most interested in experiencing. Walking and proximity can also be important considerations if you want to be buying foods and local products to create fabulous vacation meals!
3. Activities. Fishing, mountain biking, horseback riding, whale and bird watching, yoga, art galleries, local artisans, music, film, diving, snorkeling, gliding, swimming, tennis, golf…the list goes on and on. Choose a place that likes what you like and ask what they know about the activities you are into. For instance, Todos Santos is known as ‘an art community’, while camping might be something to do on Isla Espiritu off of La Paz.
4. Amenities. Sure, the amenities are important. Most important is to ask yourself what kind of days you want to have. If you want to stay in just one place, a spa resort with vacation rentals by the beach sounds ideal. Want home-made food but don’t want to cook? A house with Chef services will do nicely, thank you. If you plan to be out and about, you might only need a bed to sleep in! Listen to what your head is saying and honor what YOU feel.
5. Budget. Yes, money, money, money! A good piece of advice for Baja travelers is to review the first four tips we’ve offered, and then match your budget. And there are, indeed, accommodations to match every budget. One of the beauties of vacation rentals is that they generally come with kitchens…allowing you to make the most of local products and actually cook fantastic meals with things like fresh dorado, organic veggies, and succulent shrimp.
Here are some examples you can start with:
Todos Santos – Casa Don Cardon
Todos Santos — Casa Tortuga
San Jose – Baja Hacienda Surf
Cabo – Villa Las Arenas
East Cape – Studios La Playa
La Paz – Leo’s Baja Oasis Lodging
Safe travels, happy exploring and may you find joy and beauty wherever you are!
Want to find out how to swim with the whale sharks? Or where you can see the California gray whales and their babies? Read more at Baja.com!
Baja.com is a comprehensive online source of first-hand travel information for the Baja California Peninsula, supported by a full-service tour operator staffed by Baja locals (our “Baja Travel Savants”). We offer Baja travelers expert advice about localrestaurants,hotels and vacation rentals, as well as guides, maps and articles about events, sports and activities. We provide bilingual customer support, information and sales seven days a week, 365 days a year. For more information, please call toll-free (US/CAN) 855-BAJA-411 or email us at email@example.com.
Possibly Related Posts:
- Boutique Hotel Hacienda Cerritos for Sale
- Rancho Pescadero Unveils New Slate of Guest Chef Weekends
- Vacation Oasis: CalyCanto Casitas in Todos Santos
- Coastal Charm: Todos Santos’ Bed and Breakfast at the Beach
- The Best of Baja: Vacation Rentals in Todos Santos