By Yesica Pineda
San Jose del Cabo and Cabo San Lucas offer a wealth of activities, from water sports to shopping to nightlife to outdoor adventures. Somewhere in such a flurry of activity, it can be refreshing to take a step back from the excitement and just spend a day golfing on the green.
Golf getaways can be a perfect vacation, and there is no place in the world like Baja to get your game on. With their world class facilities and breathtaking natural backdrops, golfing in Cabo can be a serene experience for the pros and the neophytes, alike. Never golfed before? Fear not; the selection of courses is varied and there is something to fit every taste, will a little Baja flavor, of course.
Golf Courses in SJC
San Jose del Cabo, in Baja California Sur, Mexico is landscape to 4 Jack Nicklaus signature Golf Courses. Jack Nicklaus‘ achievements in Golf are legendary. Besides his 18 professional major championships as a player, for four straight years (2004-’07) Golf Inc. magazine ranked Jack Nicklaus as “The Most Powerful Person in Golf,” for his impact on the industry through his course design work, marketing and licensing business, and involvement on a national level with various charitable causes. Nicklaus was honored at the White House with the Presidential Medal of Freedom. In the golf design world, his signature style is focused on enhancing the natural environment, and creating courses that are both challenging and enjoyable for players of all levels.
Club Campestre San Jose is located in the foothills of the Sierra de la Laguna Mountains, overlooking the Sea of Cortez. It is a spectacular 18-hole Nicklaus Design golf course, with breathtaking landscapes of the ocean, mountains and the desert, a Social and Beach Club and jogging trails.
Palmilla Golf Club is Jack Nicklaus’ first Latin America design and is recognized as the Grand Dame of golf in Los Cabos. The course of 6,900 yards and 18 holes is divided into the Arroyo Nine, the Mountain Nine and the Ocean Nine. The Ocean Course actually flows to the ocean as you play on the beaches of the Sea of Cortez. It enjoys five sets of staggered tee boxes, stunning fairways, four lakes and deep shifts in elevation. It has been rated as one of the top 100 in the world by Great Golf Resorts of the World. Palmilla Golf Club has hosted the 1997 PGA Senior TOUR, Senior Slam with Hale Irwin defeating Jack Nicklaus, Ray Floyd and Gil Morgan. It was the host of the 2007 Audi World Cup Finals, the biggest amateur event in the World. What’s the best hole at Palmilla? Check out the video!
Puerto Los Cabos was designed by Jack Nicklaus and Greg Norman. It features two spectacular signature golf courses: 9 holes from Jack Nicklaus and 9 holes from Greg Norman. Open for play in 2008, Puerto Los Cabos is a resort destination, five minutes from San José’s historic downtown with its art galleries, fine restaurants and shopping.
Jack Nicklaus’ Signature El Dorado Golf Club is the third Nicklaus designed course in Los Cabos. There are six oceanfront holes by the Sea of Cortes and the remaining 12 holes carved out in two pristine canyons with beautiful trees, cactus and rock formations. It has four lakes, where six holes come into play — some of the finest in the world. El Dorado will be remembered for drives from elevated tees, along with the short par-3 17th, where waves crash into the picturesque green setting.
The game of golf should be played in the correct spirit. Here are the 10 crucial rules that you don’t want to forget when you hit the course.
1. Show consideration to other players.
2. Play at a good pace and be ready to invite faster moving groups to play through.
3. Take care of the course by smoothing bunkers, replacing divots and repairing ball marks on the greens.
Before starting your round you are advised to:
4. Read the Local Rules on the scorecard and the notice board
5. Put an identification mark on your ball; many golfers play the same brand of ball and if you can’t identify your ball, it is considered lost
6. Count your clubs; you are allowed a maximum of 14 clubs
During the round:
7. Don’t ask for advice from anyone except your partner (i.e., a player on your side) or your caddies; don’t give advice to anyone except your partner; you may ask for information on the rules, distances and the position of hazards, the flagstick, etc.
8. Don’t play any practice shots during play of a hole
9. Don’t use any artificial devices or unusual equipment, unless specifically authorized by Local Rule
Last, but never least:
10. Revel in the beauty of the course and the fun of the game.
What’s your favorite course in Cabo? Let us know where the best games you’ve played have been!
Baja.com is a comprehensive online source of first-hand travel information for the Baja California Peninsula, supported by a full-service tour operator staffed by Baja locals (our “Baja Travel Savants”). We offer Baja travelers expert advice about local restaurants, hotels and vacation rentals, as well as guides, maps and articles about events, sports and activities. We provide bilingual customer support, information and sales seven days a week, 365 days a year.
Possibly Related Posts:
- Pioneer Cabo Golf Course Palmilla Celebrates its 25th Anniversary
- Exotic Estates Launches “Exotic Cabo Villa Escape Sweeps”
- Hospitality Group Invests $150 Million in San Jose del Cabo
- One&Only Palmilla Partners with Laird Hamilton
- Happy Trails: Horseback Riding in Los Cabos with Cuadra San Francisco